Apr 16, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Dario Franchitti, one of American open-wheel racing’s best over the last two decades, will make his 250th career start at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Sun., 4 pm ET, NBC Sports Network).
The 39-year-old Scotsman has amassed a striking number of accolades over the years that include three Indianapolis 500 wins and four IZOD IndyCar Series championships. He has also successfully continued the impressive legacy of Scottish motorsport, following in the footsteps of such legends like his hero, 1965 Indy 500 winner Jim Clark, and three-time Formula One champion Sir Jackie Stewart.
“It’s amazing to think of all those years doing this and the races I’ve got to win, people I’ve gotten to work with, the teammates I’ve had, the teams I’ve gotten to drive with, the friends I’ve made,” Franchitti told IndyCar.com. “This has been my life for a long time and I hope it continues for a long time, because it was my dream to do this and I’m still here.”
However, Franchitti will reach his milestone while trying to climb out of a deep, early-season hole for the second consecutive campaign. Still, there’s certainly hope for a turnaround to happen at Long Beach, where Franchitti has one win (2009) and four podiums (two in CART, two in IRL/IndyCar) to his credit.
“Long Beach was [my] first [win] for [Target Chip Ganassi Racing], so that was extra special,” he said. “Long Beach has a lot of history and it’s a race I’ve done well at and had some shockers as well.
“I can’t think of another street course that has that kind of history. It is a huge event, so it would be nice to win that one.”
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0