Apr 16, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Dario Franchitti, one of American open-wheel racing’s best over the last two decades, will make his 250th career start at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Sun., 4 pm ET, NBC Sports Network).
The 39-year-old Scotsman has amassed a striking number of accolades over the years that include three Indianapolis 500 wins and four IZOD IndyCar Series championships. He has also successfully continued the impressive legacy of Scottish motorsport, following in the footsteps of such legends like his hero, 1965 Indy 500 winner Jim Clark, and three-time Formula One champion Sir Jackie Stewart.
“It’s amazing to think of all those years doing this and the races I’ve got to win, people I’ve gotten to work with, the teammates I’ve had, the teams I’ve gotten to drive with, the friends I’ve made,” Franchitti told IndyCar.com. “This has been my life for a long time and I hope it continues for a long time, because it was my dream to do this and I’m still here.”
However, Franchitti will reach his milestone while trying to climb out of a deep, early-season hole for the second consecutive campaign. Still, there’s certainly hope for a turnaround to happen at Long Beach, where Franchitti has one win (2009) and four podiums (two in CART, two in IRL/IndyCar) to his credit.
“Long Beach was [my] first [win] for [Target Chip Ganassi Racing], so that was extra special,” he said. “Long Beach has a lot of history and it’s a race I’ve done well at and had some shockers as well.
“I can’t think of another street course that has that kind of history. It is a huge event, so it would be nice to win that one.”
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)