Apr 16, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Dario Franchitti, one of American open-wheel racing’s best over the last two decades, will make his 250th career start at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Sun., 4 pm ET, NBC Sports Network).
The 39-year-old Scotsman has amassed a striking number of accolades over the years that include three Indianapolis 500 wins and four IZOD IndyCar Series championships. He has also successfully continued the impressive legacy of Scottish motorsport, following in the footsteps of such legends like his hero, 1965 Indy 500 winner Jim Clark, and three-time Formula One champion Sir Jackie Stewart.
“It’s amazing to think of all those years doing this and the races I’ve got to win, people I’ve gotten to work with, the teammates I’ve had, the teams I’ve gotten to drive with, the friends I’ve made,” Franchitti told IndyCar.com. “This has been my life for a long time and I hope it continues for a long time, because it was my dream to do this and I’m still here.”
However, Franchitti will reach his milestone while trying to climb out of a deep, early-season hole for the second consecutive campaign. Still, there’s certainly hope for a turnaround to happen at Long Beach, where Franchitti has one win (2009) and four podiums (two in CART, two in IRL/IndyCar) to his credit.
“Long Beach was [my] first [win] for [Target Chip Ganassi Racing], so that was extra special,” he said. “Long Beach has a lot of history and it’s a race I’ve done well at and had some shockers as well.
“I can’t think of another street course that has that kind of history. It is a huge event, so it would be nice to win that one.”
- NHRA: Beckman blazes to second Funny Car win of season at Kansas; Crampton, Enders-Stevens also win 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 6
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 52
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0