Apr 16, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Reactions to Sir Stirling Moss’ comments on female drivers have flowed fast and furious in the last 24-plus hours, and been decidedly negative.
The comments have created a firestorm in the last day or so as Moss, widely regarded as the best driver to have never won a Formula One World Championship, made the remarks in a BBC Radio interview.
A handful of thoughts include those from NBC Sports Network Formula One pit reporter Will Buxton, in his blog which he called “Crumpet-gate.” Of Moss, Buxton says his opinions are “plain wrong,” but also says those asking for his opinion should have known precisely what they were going to get.
Jalopnik editor Matt Hardigree called Moss “not just wrong, but wrong in a particularly offensive and sexist way.” Alex Lloyd, a four-time Indianapolis 500 starter and former IndyCar Series rookie-of-the-year who now writes for Yahoo! Autos, says Moss ignores the accomplishments of the current crop of female racing drivers.
“I still admire Moss… but comments like this are uneducated, old-fashioned and idiotic,” writes Lloyd.
One of the female drivers currently competing on a national stage, Pirelli World Challenge driver Shea Holbrook, took to RACER magazine to assemble on op-ed of her own describing the struggles she has faced throughout her career and what it takes to press ahead.
“I understand Moss is from a different era but in today’s world there’s a difference between tradition and equality,” writes Holbrook. “I can handle ‘old-school’ mentality but his comment, whether he intended it to be this way or not, was absurdly sexist and badly thought through.”
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 3
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 9
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2