Apr 17, 2013, 2:23 AM EDT
Two Americans competed in the 2013 FIA GP2 Series opener at Malaysia, and at least two will still be in seats this weekend in Bahrain.
Caterham Formula One reserve driver Alexander Rossi has been confirmed to replace his fellow reserve driver Ma Qing Hua in Caterham’s GP2 seat for the rest of the 2013 championship. Rossi’s teammate will be Spaniard Sergio Canamasas.
Rossi and Jake Rosenzweig, of the Barwa Addax Team, are the two Americans set to race this weekend.
Conor Daly will not be reprising his role with the new Hilmer squad, as he’ll be in Long Beach, Calif. this weekend for the IZOD IndyCar Series race and embedded with the A.J. Foyt Racing team ahead of his Indianapolis 500 debut.
A Caterham team release didn’t indicate whether Rossi, who was scheduled and excited for his first free practice one outing of the year in Bahrain, would still do so. Caterham announced Heikki Kovalainen would perform those duties in Bahrain and Spain, and it stands to reason Caterham will only replace one of its drivers rather than both.
Ma, meanwhile, has been dropped as an official Caterham reserve driver after a difficult outing in free practice one at the Chinese Grand Prix. An announcement of his revised plans will be made later.
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 0
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 1
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 1
- A save and a beauty from Matt Kenseth in Vegas (VIDEO) 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)