Apr 17, 2013, 2:23 AM EDT
Two Americans competed in the 2013 FIA GP2 Series opener at Malaysia, and at least two will still be in seats this weekend in Bahrain.
Caterham Formula One reserve driver Alexander Rossi has been confirmed to replace his fellow reserve driver Ma Qing Hua in Caterham’s GP2 seat for the rest of the 2013 championship. Rossi’s teammate will be Spaniard Sergio Canamasas.
Rossi and Jake Rosenzweig, of the Barwa Addax Team, are the two Americans set to race this weekend.
Conor Daly will not be reprising his role with the new Hilmer squad, as he’ll be in Long Beach, Calif. this weekend for the IZOD IndyCar Series race and embedded with the A.J. Foyt Racing team ahead of his Indianapolis 500 debut.
A Caterham team release didn’t indicate whether Rossi, who was scheduled and excited for his first free practice one outing of the year in Bahrain, would still do so. Caterham announced Heikki Kovalainen would perform those duties in Bahrain and Spain, and it stands to reason Caterham will only replace one of its drivers rather than both.
Ma, meanwhile, has been dropped as an official Caterham reserve driver after a difficult outing in free practice one at the Chinese Grand Prix. An announcement of his revised plans will be made later.
- Ten with Townsend: Toronto debrief 0
- Denny Hamlin’s team hit with big penalties after Brickyard infraction 4
- High 5: Chip Ganassi Racing’s win streak at Mid-Ohio (VIDEO) 0
- Chase-eligible teams – but not drivers – allowed at Homestead tire test 4
- Q&A: Kevin Healy on Milwaukee IndyFest activation heading into Wisconsin State Fair 2