Jenson Button dismisses Formula One’s critics

Apr 18, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT

Jenson Button AP

Jenson Button has rejected any calls criticizing Formula One’s current state, claiming that he thinks the sport “is great at the moment.”

The 2009 world champion, who drives for McLaren, was speaking in the drivers’ press conference ahead of the Bahrain Grand Prix this weekend.

“We are not going to be happy with everything in this sport, or in any sport, but I think the racing has been good fun.

“I was on the receiving end of it in the last race because I was doing less stops and running old tires most of the race, but if you were doing a three-stop it seemed like it was a pretty fun race and they were able to push pretty hard.”

Despite the lead changing nine times during the Chinese Grand Prix, many criticized the race as Jenson Button and Sebastian Vettel were both told not to fight for the lead due to their differing strategies. However, Button did not see this as being too much of a problem.

“In the past, we had tires that would last the whole race and there wasn’t any overtaking. It’s very difficult to get the balance right, but we are having two or three stops, which I think is what the idea was for racing in 2013, and there are a lot of teams fighting at the front.

“I think Formula 1 is great at the moment.”

Button’s sentiments have been echoed by Kimi Raikkonen, who believes that the teams need to adapt to the Pirelli tires instead of complaining about them. Although qualifying certainly failed to impress many in China, the race certainly produced some good racing and fine overtaking in places.

1. apexassassin - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM

1 set of tyres for FP1, no testing/track time for rookies. 1/2 the field are undertalented pay drivers, no defending against passing on 2 straights per track, useless option tyres…

but F1 is great, eh JB? I don’t think so.

2. mcmillang2013 - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM

You may disagree, but I like F1 just how it is. I think people want the early 2000’s where we had no action. We should have more testing, but not at the cost of losing teams.

• apexassassin - Apr 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM

How is an extra set of tyres for junior drivers to use in FP1 going to make a team lose f1?

AT everyone else: I effing love F1. I effing live F1. You disagree that’s fine. Stop crying about it and try posting something relevant. The last thing I want is parade. What I want is the drivers being about to push and be able to defend. That’s called racing… this isn’t an endurance sport.

Guess you guys don’t understand: PR, product placement, advertising, or the massive amount of money these guys are paid to say what their bosses tell them to say. When Ferrari and Mclaren were struggling on tyres they all complained. Just go review their driver comments from the first 2 races. You are soooo used to the spin you can’t even see the truth right in front of you.

And I don’t mean my comments. Go read and watch. If you disagree, that’s great. I think F1 could be even better with a few changes, and I’m voicing that opinion and will do so if it’s relevant as like I said, I effing love F1. More than any other sport, definitely. And my spending reflects that.

Enjoy the Quali and Race as we’re all F1 fans. :)

3. purplesectornet - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Then GO AWAY! If you hate F1 so much JUST LEAVE!! Why are you here? Just to be a gadfly and annoy everyone?

Let’s see Kimi and Jenson or some nameless hack on the internet who calls himself “apexassassin” – yeah I like the experts opinion…yours? Not so much. Go do something you enjoy and leave the fans alone.

4. icemanpjn - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:36 PM

F1 is perfectly fine right now. People complain about how it is now, as if the past was so much better, but I have recently watched a lot of races from the 1980s and 1990s and generally little happened outside of random car failures, which were common.

5. indycarseries500 - Apr 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM

The on track product is amazing, unfortunately the cars are hideous but the same could be said for IndyCar. Good racing, ugly cars and the racing is what it’s all about.

6. purplesectornet - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Are you serious? LOL. At least F1 cars still have open wheels. LOL!