Apr 18, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Jenson Button has rejected any calls criticizing Formula One’s current state, claiming that he thinks the sport “is great at the moment.”
The 2009 world champion, who drives for McLaren, was speaking in the drivers’ press conference ahead of the Bahrain Grand Prix this weekend.
“We are not going to be happy with everything in this sport, or in any sport, but I think the racing has been good fun.
“I was on the receiving end of it in the last race because I was doing less stops and running old tires most of the race, but if you were doing a three-stop it seemed like it was a pretty fun race and they were able to push pretty hard.”
Despite the lead changing nine times during the Chinese Grand Prix, many criticized the race as Jenson Button and Sebastian Vettel were both told not to fight for the lead due to their differing strategies. However, Button did not see this as being too much of a problem.
“In the past, we had tires that would last the whole race and there wasn’t any overtaking. It’s very difficult to get the balance right, but we are having two or three stops, which I think is what the idea was for racing in 2013, and there are a lot of teams fighting at the front.
“I think Formula 1 is great at the moment.”
Button’s sentiments have been echoed by Kimi Raikkonen, who believes that the teams need to adapt to the Pirelli tires instead of complaining about them. Although qualifying certainly failed to impress many in China, the race certainly produced some good racing and fine overtaking in places.
- Hunter-Reay leads as times plunge in second practice at Sonoma 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6