Apr 18, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Three might be the magic number for Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing’s Charlie Kimball this year.
His third year of IndyCar is his first as part of the streamlined three-car effort between the Novo Nordisk camp and the flagship Target Chip Ganassi squad, where Kimball has been able to better directly interact with its drivers Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti.
A methodical approach has aided his development and progress to this point, and the feedback between the three has been beneficial.
“I think one thing I’ve noticed in the testing and then in the first two rounds of the season is that with three inputs from drivers, you have a better opportunity to learn, and learn from what they’re doing car-wise, driving-wise, engineering-wise,” Kimball said in a conference call on Wednesday. “So to be able to pull highlights from Scott and from Dario, and have a little more time to talk to them individually, the communication has been a little easier definitely starting the season. I think the more that the 83 team is able to run up front, the more we’re contributing back to the 9 and 10 cars.”
His integration in the team has also improved.
“I think the biggest things I’ve learned have not been about a certain corner or a certain racetrack,” he said. “It’s more about how to work with the team and how much effort to put in and how that be repaid by the crew members and by the mechanics. It’s more about managing the team and working with all of the tools that are available to maximize what options we have.”
Kimball had one of, if not his best overall weekends last race at Barber when he qualified fifth and finished fourth. He noted there were signs of being close to a result in the last three races of 2012, but ultimately they failed to come to fruition.
Both Kimball and Franchitti will be back in their usual liveries at Long Beach after having different orange and blue paint schemes at Barber.
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0