Apr 19, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Marussia reserve driver Rodolfo Gonzalez is pleased with how his first official Formula One session went despite completing just seven laps due to a gearbox failure.
The Venezuelan driver replaced Jules Bianchi for FP1 in Bahrain, and although the issue curtailed his running, he was able to take the positives out of the session.
“Although my first experience of the MR02 was quite brief, it provided a good start for my FP1 programme at various races this year,” Gonzalez explained in a team statement.
“With my programme, I had actually experienced and achieved quite a few different things before the problem with the gearbox. I felt comfortable with the car and I could see that Max and Jules were going to have quite a challenging day with the heat and the track conditions.”
Gonzalez spoke of his anticipation for his next practice appearance for Marussia, although he did not reveal at which race this would be.
“I’m looking forward to being able to make a wider contribution to the team’s performance during a grand prix weekend and next time will be better for sure.”
Although he only completed seven laps, Gonzalez lapped just eight-tenths slower than full-time driver Max Chilton, which is certainly impressive on debut. If he manages to repeat this performance when he next takes part in a practice session, Rodolfo Gonzalez could be joining his compatriot Pastor Maldonado with a full-time race seat in the future.
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 7
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)