Apr 19, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Three-time Bahrain Grand Prix winner Fernando Alonso is confident that Ferrari are in the running for victory this weekend after a good performance in practice.
The Italian team finished P1 and P2 in Free Practice 1 in Sakhir, and Alonso continued his good form by finishing 4th in the second session. The Spanish driver, who won last week’s Chinese Grand Prix, was pleased with his performance as he looks to win back-to-back races for the first time since the 2010 Singapore Grand Prix.
“It was a positive day and we are reasonably pleased with how the car behaved,” Alonso said in a team statement. “We had no major problems and more importantly, we didn’t have to make any radical changes to the F138 to adapt it to this track and its long straights and slow corners, characteristics which I like a lot and usually produce a great show in the race.”
Alonso believes that he is well placed for qualifying on Saturday, with Lotus, Red Bull and Mercedes also looking strong.
“The initial feelings are good and I think we can be up in the leading group tomorrow, a group that is all within the same two, maximum three tenths.”
The team will make a decision about the car upgrades brought to Bahrain on Saturday.
“We have not yet decided if we will use the aero updates we tried in the morning. It is not yet completely clear how they worked and in the afternoon, we concentrated on comparing the two tire compounds we have for this race.”
Felipe Massa finished on top in FP1, but he could only finish 6th in FP2, yet the Brazilian driver’s good record in Bahrain (two wins) will certainly put him in the running to support and possibly challenge Alonso on Sunday.
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 2
- Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 3
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 4
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 9
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 5
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0