Apr 19, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
James Hinchcliffe led the opening practice session for IndyCar’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. The Andretti Autosport driver, who’s traditionally been good at Long Beach, was one of two in the 1:09 range, at 1:09.8157.
Mike Conway, in his only confirmed start of the season for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, clocked in just behind at 1:09.8290 in the No. 17 blu eCigs Honda.
Takuma Sato, in Conway’s old car for A.J. Foyt Racing, Simona de Silvestro and Barber winner and defending series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay.
Justin Wilson (Dale Coyne Racing) was next up ahead of Scott Dixon, Graham Rahal, Josef Newgarden, and JR Hildebrand.
Hondas and Chevrolets were fairly split, with Hinchcliffe, de Silvestro, Hunter-Reay and Hildebrand upholding Chevrolet’s honor to the other six in Hondas.
Practice two rolls off at 5:30 p.m. ET, 2:30 p.m. PT and local time.
- Sizing up IndyCar’s remaining free agent pool (UPDATED) (6)
- The Briscoe choice is good for Ganassi, but decidedly “meh” for IndyCar (5)
- NASCAR delivers 2014 rules package to Cup teams (4)
- Former F1 driver Eddie Irvine calls double points rule “insanity” (3)
- NBC’s F1/IndyCar voice, Leigh Diffey, to make Olympic broadcast debut at Sochi (3)