Apr 19, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
James Hinchcliffe led the opening practice session for IndyCar’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. The Andretti Autosport driver, who’s traditionally been good at Long Beach, was one of two in the 1:09 range, at 1:09.8157.
Mike Conway, in his only confirmed start of the season for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, clocked in just behind at 1:09.8290 in the No. 17 blu eCigs Honda.
Takuma Sato, in Conway’s old car for A.J. Foyt Racing, Simona de Silvestro and Barber winner and defending series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay.
Justin Wilson (Dale Coyne Racing) was next up ahead of Scott Dixon, Graham Rahal, Josef Newgarden, and JR Hildebrand.
Hondas and Chevrolets were fairly split, with Hinchcliffe, de Silvestro, Hunter-Reay and Hildebrand upholding Chevrolet’s honor to the other six in Hondas.
Practice two rolls off at 5:30 p.m. ET, 2:30 p.m. PT and local time.
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 0
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0
- Simon Pagenaud ‘agonizingly close’ to wins at Mid-Ohio, not to success in 2015 0
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 1
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 6
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 20
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 7