Apr 19, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
James Hinchcliffe led the opening practice session for IndyCar’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. The Andretti Autosport driver, who’s traditionally been good at Long Beach, was one of two in the 1:09 range, at 1:09.8157.
Mike Conway, in his only confirmed start of the season for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, clocked in just behind at 1:09.8290 in the No. 17 blu eCigs Honda.
Takuma Sato, in Conway’s old car for A.J. Foyt Racing, Simona de Silvestro and Barber winner and defending series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay.
Justin Wilson (Dale Coyne Racing) was next up ahead of Scott Dixon, Graham Rahal, Josef Newgarden, and JR Hildebrand.
Hondas and Chevrolets were fairly split, with Hinchcliffe, de Silvestro, Hunter-Reay and Hildebrand upholding Chevrolet’s honor to the other six in Hondas.
Practice two rolls off at 5:30 p.m. ET, 2:30 p.m. PT and local time.
- Rahal, Kimball out early in Detroit 0
- Action Express wins; safety worker taken to hospital in TUDOR race at Detroit 0
- The week that was for Juan Pablo Montoya 0
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7