Apr 19, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Seven-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Richard Petty is convinced that somebody told NASCAR about the unapproved parts in the Penske Racing Fords for last weekend’s race at Texas Motor Speedway.
According to Dave Skretta of The Associated Press, Petty said that Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano had already passed “two or three inspections and hadn’t been caught” at Texas — which leads “The King” to believe that someone snitched their teams out to the sanctioning body.
”Undoubtedly, someone told them what the Penske crew was doing,” Petty told reporters on Friday at Kansas Speedway.
For the infractions, Keselowski and Logano were each docked 25 championship points, and their teams had a combined seven crew members hit with six-race suspensions and $200,000 in fines altogether. Those suspensions have been appealed by Penske Racing, meaning that all of Keselowski and Logano’s crews are present and accounted for this weekend in Kansas.
Petty also touched on those harsh penalties in his time with the press on Friday, saying that NASCAR’s great efforts in developing the new Generation-6 machines may have triggered its sizable reaction.
”I think when something like this happens, it tees them off, because they think they have everything covered,” Petty mused.
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 0
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2