Apr 19, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
With the world anxiously watching the tense situation in Boston, one Pirelli World Challenge team is out to win this weekend for its stricken hometown.
Black Swan Racing, which fields the No. 54 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 in the series’ GT category, is based within the city. While the team is set to race Sunday on the streets of Long Beach, California (TV: Sun., May 5, 2 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network), their thoughts are obviously back in Boston, which showed resiliency after Monday’s Marathon bombings before last night’s chaotic events unfolded in the city’s suburbs.
“There is a palpable tone to the city right now, it’s indescribable,” said Black Swan team manager/driver Tim Pappas in a statement released yesterday. “Our group wasn’t sure how best to address the situation, and at the end of the day, we just want to get on with the business of racing, and that’s what we’ll do this weekend.”
“Having grown up in the city of Boston, it’s tough to describe the emotions that many of us feel right now, but what I can say is how grateful I am that our city has some of the best emergency personnel and hospitals in the business. The Boston Fire Department, EMS, and Police Department are simply the best anywhere, and I personally couldn’t be more grateful for that.”
This weekend at Long Beach, the Black Swan No. 54 will feature a black stripe containing the “Boston Strong” or “B Strong” logo recently introduced by the Boston Red Sox.
Pappas is a former winner at Long Beach, taking the GTC class victory in the 2011 American Le Mans Series race at the legendary street course.
Video from NASCAR America
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 0
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 52
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1