Apr 19, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Say this about Schmidt Peterson Motorsports rookie Tristan Vautier: he already has developed veteran-like tendencies in managing expectations and just taking his learning in IndyCar one step at a time.
Asked Thursday in Long Beach whether he was either surprised or excited with his fast start to the season, with back-to-back Firestone Fast Six appearances at St. Petersburg and Barber, Vautier said neither, because either answer would paint him into a corner.
“If you’re surprised, you don’t think you trust yourself. And if you say you’re excited, it’s pretentious!” Vautier said, candidly. “I didn’t set any expectations going in, so I’m not going to say I’m surprised or not surprised.”
What he did help do, though, was push the team to get back out when told he would be in the Fast Six at Barber, following a blocking penalty issued to A.J. Foyt Racing’s Takuma Sato.
“Yeah basically, I was pissed, and the team had to take the car off pit lane,” Vautier explained. “We were told by IndyCar in the briefings to get the cars off as quick as possible if we didn’t make it to the next segment. I was very frustrated with a big mistake.
“Then I saw myself on the top six when they switched, so I called the team and they didn’t believe me. It was funny. Then the guys made the car ready so fast.”
Vautier and Schmidt Hamilton teammate Simon Pagenaud have gelled, both on and off track. The two starred in a trip to Bass Pro Shops in Alabama, for some off-color humor beyond the series’ last race at Barber Motorsports Park.
Video from NASCAR America
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 2
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 2
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1