Apr 20, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
Clint Bowyer is seeking to do well in front of his fellow Kansans this weekend as the Sprint Cup Series rolls into Kansas Speedway. Bowyer, a native of Emporia, Kan. (90 minutes southwest of the track), has four top-10 finishes to his credit on the 1.5-mile oval, but is still in search of his first victory on home ground.
“It’s always a big weekend for me to come home and race in front of family and friends,” said Bowyer, who comes off a 15th-place finish last weekend at Texas Motor Speedway. “I’m proud to be from Kansas and any chance I get to come back and spend time there, I take it…I love coming back and visiting friends, hunting and just spending time where I grew up.
“To win at Kansas – man, there [would] be one heck of a party! We’d invite the whole grandstand down!”
Bowyer has been especially busy this weekend off the track. On Thursday, he helped celebrate the grand opening of the newly-renamed Clint Bowyer Autoplex in Emporia — the same dealership where he worked as a repairman before he became a star. According to the Associated Press, he plans to leave day-to-day operations of the dealership to a Wichita-based auto group.
However, he did manage to sell a car himself on Thursday — although he quickly learned that it’s a whole different animal from driving them.
“I’m one and done,” Bowyer said. “I’ve sold my one vehicle and they informed me I didn’t do a very good job if we wanted to stay in business, so I’m going to leave that up to the professionals that know how to sell cars. It was fun. I told the guy, I said, ‘We’re going to have to get through this together,’ but had a lot of fun.”
Bowyer will start tenth for Sunday’s STP 400.
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 0
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3