Apr 20, 2013, 6:27 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has received a five place grid penalty after changing his gearbox following the final practice session for the Bahrain Grand Prix.
The Mercedes driver suffered a car failure at the end of the session which caused damage to his suspension and left-rear of the car, which has forced the team into making the gearbox change.
Mercedes confirmed to Autosport that the change was due to this damage, and Hamilton joins Mark Webber and Esteban Gutierrez who have penalties from last weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix.
Webber incurred a three place penalty for his incident with Jean-Eric Vergne, whilst Gutierrez will drop five places on the grid after causing an accident involving Force India’s Adrian Sutil.
Hamilton will be aiming to qualify as high as possible to minimize the impact of this penalty, and he could still start in the top ten after running well in final practice.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 0
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 2
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)