Apr 20, 2013, 6:27 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has received a five place grid penalty after changing his gearbox following the final practice session for the Bahrain Grand Prix.
The Mercedes driver suffered a car failure at the end of the session which caused damage to his suspension and left-rear of the car, which has forced the team into making the gearbox change.
Mercedes confirmed to Autosport that the change was due to this damage, and Hamilton joins Mark Webber and Esteban Gutierrez who have penalties from last weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix.
Webber incurred a three place penalty for his incident with Jean-Eric Vergne, whilst Gutierrez will drop five places on the grid after causing an accident involving Force India’s Adrian Sutil.
Hamilton will be aiming to qualify as high as possible to minimize the impact of this penalty, and he could still start in the top ten after running well in final practice.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)