Apr 20, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen has admitted his disappointment after qualifying 9th for tomorrow’s Bahrain Grand Prix.
The Lotus driver only just made it through to Q3, and he failed to match the pace of championship rivals Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton in the final session. However, Raikkonen does not believe he could have fared much better.
“We were not fast enough. This was our maximum,” he said in an interview.
“Maybe we could’ve been a few places better, but like I said yesterday, it didn’t feel exactly like we want.
Raikkonen said that the lack of pace could be down to the track not suiting the Lotus E21 car.
“It’s just one of the places where we don’t seem to have the speed. Hopefully tomorrow it will turn out different.”
The 2007 world champion also refused to make any predictions for the race tomorrow.
“I cannot tell you where we’re going to finish. That would be stupid. We can only do our best and hopefully that will be a better result than today.
“I hope that our tires can last in better shape than some of the others.”
Due to Lewis Hamilton’s grid penalty, Raikkonen will start the race in 8th tomorrow, but he was only 0.1 seconds off Felipe Massa who will start 4th. However, he will take confidence from last year’s race, where he started P11 before rising to 2nd by the end of the race.
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 4
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 3
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)