Apr 20, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
Simon Pagenaud led IndyCar’s final practice session before qualifying at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. The Frenchman lapped the 1.968-mile street circuit in 1:08.0960, more than 1.4 seconds quicker than the fastest times on Friday and still on the Firestone black tires.
Pole time should be in the low 1:07s, perhaps high 1:06 range, once teams have the option to run the softer, alternate, Firestone reds.
Times tumbled at the end of the session as Will Power, Mike Conway, Ryan Hunter-Reay and Graham Rahal all posted their fastest laps at the end of the session to complete the top five.
The session was interrupted for two red flags, both involving Team Penske drivers. Power made contact in Turn 1 and damaged his rear wing, while Helio Castroneves had slight mechanical issues and dropped back. He returned to the track but also had a lazy spin at the end of practice.
Qualifying begins at 5 p.m. EST with TV coverage on at 6 p.m. EST on the NBC Sports Network. Live streaming for Sunday’s race will be available online at http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/.
Qualifying groups for the three rounds of knockout qualifying are below, via INDYCAR:
Group 1 Group 2 #17 Mike Conway #1 Ryan Hunter-Reay #55 Tristan Vautier (R) #12 Will Power #16 James Jakes #3 Helio Castroneves #10 Dario Franchitti #98 Alex Tagliani #14 Takuma Sato #27 James Hinchcliffe #19 Justin Wilson #78 Simona de Silvestro #15 Graham Rahal #9 Scott Dixon #77 Simon Pagenaud #67 Josef Newgarden #7 Sebastien Bourdais #25 Marco Andretti #11 Tony Kanaan #4 JR Hildebrand #5 E.J. Viso #2 AJ Allmendinger #18 Ana Beatriz #83 Charlie Kimball #6 Sebastian Saavedra #22 Oriol Servia #20 Ed Carpenter
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 0
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2
- Jeff Gordon’s legacy of success transcends generations 1
- Jeff Gordon announces 2015 as final full-time season 43