Apr 20, 2013, 12:00 AM EST
Sergio Perez has found rough waters so far in his first season with McLaren. Hampered by an underachieving car, the Mexican driver has collected just two points so far this Formula One season and has even been urged by McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh to “toughen up” against his rivals on the track.
But while acknowledging the difficulties he currently faces, the man they call “Checo” is confident that the Woking gang is heading for a turnaround.
“It is no secret that we are not performing at the level that we want to, so we are all disappointed,” Perez told the series’ official website, Formula1.com. “We are ambitious and are here to win and we are far from doing that at the moment, so of course, you look for reasons and blame. But we are all confident that our time will come, that success is probably waiting just around the corner.”
Perez’s three podiums for Sauber last year had many tagging him as a potential star, and those predictions were fueled further upon his jump to McLaren to race alongside former World Champion Jenson Button. With things not quite going to plan, Perez admits that the difference between his expectations going into 2013 and the reality is “very far.”
However, even in trying times, there are lessons to be learned that can prove very important down the road. That appears to be the tack Perez is taking as he tries to make the most of — at least for now — a less than optimal situation with the MP4-28.
“I also have to say that I’ve learned a lot in the last couple of months and over the first three races, so I can say that I’m a better driver now than I was,” he said.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 4
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0