Apr 20, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Starting P15 may not be ideal for any driver, but Valtteri Bottas believes that he did all he could in qualifying for the Bahrain Grand Prix.
The Williams rookie squeezed through Q1 after setting the exact same time as his teammate Pastor Maldonado, but Bottas went through after he crossed the line earlier in the session. He admitted that he was fortunate to make it through.
“I had a bit of traffic in Q1 so I was quite lucky to get through given that one or two tenths can be the difference between progressing to Q2 or not,” Bottas said in a team statement.
“I put a good lap together in Q2, the best lap I’ve driven here this weekend, so I’m pleased about that.”
The Williams FW35 has proved troublesome for the team in 2013, with the team yet to score any points, but Bottas is fired up for the race tomorrow.
“I feel I got everything out of the car today but tomorrow will be a long race in these conditions, so I will be ready to challenge right from the start.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Williams will be disappointed to have not got both cars into Q2 at any race so far this season, and with his teammate outqualifying him here, the pressure may be on Pastor Maldonado upon Formula One’s return to the site of his first grand prix victory at the Spanish Grand Prix.
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- The ingredients are set for Graham Rahal’s big, breakout year 0
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 2
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 2
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)