Apr 21, 2013, 8:31 AM EST
Fernando Alonso has suffered a DRS failure which has ruined all hopes of the Spaniard winning for a fourth time in Bahrain.
Alonso made a good start, and after battling with pole-sitter Nico Rosberg, the Ferrari was in second place behind Sebastian Vettel who had also passed the Mercedes. However, as he set about catching Vettel, Alonso went to use his DRS system, which subsequently became jammed open.
DRS works with a flap in the rear wing. When a driver is within one second of the car ahead, it becomes available, and makes the car faster in a straight line. However, it does make the car highly unstable through the corners, which forced Ferrari to pit Alonso in order to fix the issue.
The mechanics managed to return the rear wing to its usual position, and fitted Alonso’s car with new tires as they looked to work the mistake into their strategy. However, one lap later, the problem occurred for a second time, forcing Alonso to pit again, and thus ruining his race.
Although Alonso does not look to be able to catch the leaders, the two-time world champion will be hoping to score some points and put the weekend behind him.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power has hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 13
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1