Apr 21, 2013, 6:18 PM EST
Defending IZOD IndyCar Series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay is out of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach after crashing into the tire barriers at Turn 8 on Lap 49 of the 80 lap race.
Hunter-Reay was seeking to go to the inside of Ana Beatriz but carried too much speed into the corner and went into the tires. He will be credited with a 23rd place finish after winning the most recent IZOD IndyCar Series race two weeks ago at Barber Motorsports Park.
The American driver was already mired in the back after sustaining damage in an earlier incident that also involved Andretti Autosport teammates James Hinchcliffe and E.J. Viso, as well as Tony Kanaan. Hinchcliffe’s car came out the worst in the run-in at Lap 35 and the Canadian was knocked out of the race.
“Some of the corners that are my strongest were my weakest today,” Hunter-Reay told the NBC Sports Network when he got out of the car following his crash at Turn 8. “I started just trying things. We were in the back anyway. I had to go for it, and got inside of Ana, and I just drove in too hot. There was no grip on the inside there.
“I was just trying things — anything to make a bad day go a little bit better. But it just went from bad to worse. I feel bad for the guys. They gave me a great car all weekend. We just missed it today and I absolutely missed it out on the track.”
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)