Apr 21, 2013, 9:29 PM EST
Graham Rahal is hopeful that a second-place performance in today’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach will be enough to revitalize his campaign, which started with subpar results of 13th at St. Petersburg and 21st at Barber Motorsports Park.
“We had more fun this weekend than we’ve had the last couple, that’s for sure,” said Rahal, who started 11th. “You know, I think today was just great because it finally came together. I mean, we all felt that we had the speed. You look back at St. Pete, I felt like that could have been a similar result to today — we just couldn’t see it through unfortunately. Without a doubt, it feels phenomenal to be up here.”
Rahal’s best opportunity to pass Takuma Sato for a potential win came on the final restart at Lap 56, but when he was unable to do it, the Japanese driver pulled away to a comfortable first win in the IZOD IndyCar Series. It left the Ohio native wondering what could have been — “God, I was so close to winning yet again,” he said — but considering the high level of competition within the series (and the narrow margin for error that it brings), Rahal was happy to take the runner-up spot.
“It’s so competitive,” Rahal said. “You look at me — last week, I qualified 21st, today I’m finishing second. It’s so competitive. If you barely miss it, that can be 20 spots. So on the points side of it, today is extremely important. The last two races, looking at points, man, that is brutal. But here we are. I don’t know where we are, but I’m sure this had to help us in a huge, huge way.”
Rahal was right. He climbed to seventh in the standings with 66 points, seven points behind sixth-place driver Ryan Hunter-Reay.
Video from NASCAR America
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 16