Apr 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Pastor Maldonado is pleased with his performance at today’s Bahrain Grand Prix, but he is relishing the return to Europe in three weeks’ time when Williams is expected to bring upgrades for the FW35 car.
Maldonado finished in a season-best of 11th, and he believes that it was the most he could have achieved this weekend.
“Considering the problems we have been having, I think we got 100% out of the car today,” Maldonado said in a team statement. “We put everything together today, working well as a team and managing the tires, and 11th was the maximum we could have achieved.”
The upgrades are likely to see an improvement in performance for Williams, and Maldonado will be keen on scoring their first points of the season at the Spanish Grand Prix.
“We are really looking forward to the next race where we should see a step forward. We must stay together and positive. It’s a difficult time, but we still have many races to go.”
Last season saw Maldonado win the Spanish Grand Prix for Williams, but with the car blighting his form and that of teammate Valtteri Bottas, they will struggle to repeat this result in 2013. To make matters worse, Force India has made a strong start to the season, and look to be leading the battle for 6th in this year’s constructors’ championship.
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0