Apr 21, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
On Sunday at Bahrain, Kimi Raikkonen collected his third podium in four starts this season, moving from seventh at the start to his second consecutive runner-up finish in as many races.
It’s also the sixth Bahrain Grand Prix podium of the Iceman’s career, but being ever hungry for a victory and nothing else, he indicated that he wanted more than just consistency.
“Second is obviously better than third place, but we haven’t won [at Bahrain] and that’s what we try to do,” Raikkonen said. “Today, we got good points, we didn’t lose too many to [race winner] Sebastian [Vettel], but obviously it doesn’t help to finish second if he’s winning all the time. So we try to find something, but all of [the podium finishes] have been improved, in a way.”
Still, Raikkonen, who worked from a two-stop strategy in the race that he felt “worked well,” believed that P2 was the best result he could have wrung out even if he had qualified farther up the grid.
“I think it didn’t help, but I think overall, we would not have had the speed for beating Red Bull in here this weekend,” he admitted. “Yesterday we could have been a few places better, but still, we couldn’t have challenged on speed… to the front.
“But I would say then, second was the best that we could achieve and also third for the team, so, a good result.”
Raikkonen now sits 10 markers in second place behind Vettel (77-67) in the driver’s championship as it goes into an extended break before the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona next month.
He recognizes that’s a better position than where he was last year at this time, but is downplaying expectations of a bid for the world title — at least for now.
“It’s going to be hard to catch Sebastian [Vettel] if he keeps taking good results so we need to start taking more points from him, but you never know what can happen,” Raikkonen said. “We’ll keep pushing to improve the car and see where we end up.”
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25