Apr 21, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
After a difficult start to the 2013 Formula One season, Romain Grosjean has admitted his delight with his first podium finish of the year at today’s Bahrain Grand Prix.
The Lotus driver started the race in 11th, but after a good start and some quick driving, coupled with some poor luck for the drivers ahead, he managed to work his way onto the podium by the end of the race.
“In the first three races we were consistent but not where we wanted to be,” Grosjean explained on the podium. He had scored just 11 points before this race. However, it appears a change in chassis has had the desired effect.
“We have done a lot of work on the car and basically today we got it right.
“Our strategy was different to everyone else and I am very pleased to be up here, the same as last year and now we hope we can find some consistency.”
Grosjean was unhappy with his team’s decision to pit him for a third time during the race, but the move turned out to be the right one. On the softer, quicker tire, Grosjean cut into Paul di Resta’s lead before using DRS to overtake him with a few laps remaining.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The team result sees Lotus move above Ferrari into 2nd place in the constructors’ championship, whilst Grosjean is now 7th in the drivers’ championship.
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 0
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 0
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 1
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 0
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 0
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 0
- Brendan Gaughan takes lead with 6 laps to go, wins Nationwide at Kentucky 0