Apr 21, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
After a difficult start to the 2013 Formula One season, Romain Grosjean has admitted his delight with his first podium finish of the year at today’s Bahrain Grand Prix.
The Lotus driver started the race in 11th, but after a good start and some quick driving, coupled with some poor luck for the drivers ahead, he managed to work his way onto the podium by the end of the race.
“In the first three races we were consistent but not where we wanted to be,” Grosjean explained on the podium. He had scored just 11 points before this race. However, it appears a change in chassis has had the desired effect.
“We have done a lot of work on the car and basically today we got it right.
“Our strategy was different to everyone else and I am very pleased to be up here, the same as last year and now we hope we can find some consistency.”
Grosjean was unhappy with his team’s decision to pit him for a third time during the race, but the move turned out to be the right one. On the softer, quicker tire, Grosjean cut into Paul di Resta’s lead before using DRS to overtake him with a few laps remaining.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The team result sees Lotus move above Ferrari into 2nd place in the constructors’ championship, whilst Grosjean is now 7th in the drivers’ championship.
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 0
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 2
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14