Apr 21, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
IZOD IndyCar Series driver Alex Tagliani has a simple theory on why Turn 1 of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach course seems to be every bit a spot for trouble as it is a spot for overtaking.
“I’m wondering if it’s not that big Firestone sign that becomes bigger and bigger, and all of a sudden you see all of these beautiful California girls on the bridge,” the Canadian racer muses while on a track walk of the 1.97-mile circuit. “You’re looking up and you get distracted, and for a fraction of a second — ‘Oh, Turn One is coming!’ And everybody’s in the fence.”
As you can probably figure, there’s a bit of humor involved in this particular track walk with the driver of the No. 98 Barracuda Racing Honda, who is fashioned as “The Amazing Alex Tagliani” (‘Feared by men, desired by women, loved by all,’ according to the intro) in an ongoing series of at-track vignettes.
But as his video from Barber Motorsports Park attests, even Tag seems to have his own fears — namely, giant bugs and unicycle-riding men that bear a striking resemblance to IndyCar’s old championship trophy.
You can catch Tagliani and the rest of IndyCar’s finest in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach — today at 4 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network and NBC Sports Live Extra for online and mobile devices.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2