Apr 22, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
All things considered, the Long Beach weekend for Target Chip Ganassi Racing driver Scott Dixon could have been worse. But not much worse.
The New Zealander got off to a bad start with an accident in Friday’s second practice session at Turn 9, which damaged the left rear wheel guard and suspension.
Then in his round of qualifying, he spun at Turn 1, which cost him his two fastest laps and dropped him to the back of the grid. He lined up 26th in the 27-car field.
His Sunday wasn’t smooth either, because contact from Tristan Vautier on the first lap gave Dixon a flat tire and sent him to the pits.
Without ever really figuring into the equation on Sunday, Dixon at least managed to stay out of trouble and finish just behind points leader Helio Castroneves. Castroneves was 10th, Dixon 11th on the day. He is third in the championship, 10 points behind Castroneves. It was an exercise in damage control.
“Unfortunately it was just another day in a bad weekend for us here,” said Dixon. “We were taken out by (Tristan) Vautier on Lap 1 which resulted in a flat tire for us. We had to come in for a front wing as well when we pit, and lost a lap. So we missed out on the strategy that got the other guys around us into the top five.
“I think we had some damage as a result of the accident and we did the best we could with what we had. We also had some issues with our top gear limit and it held us back a bit in the kink from really making a run at anybody.”
Video from NASCAR America
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 3
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0