Apr 23, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Denny Hamlin’s extended stay on NASCAR’s “disabled list” may come to a close before the race at Richmond International Raceway. Without racing to occupy him in the moment with his fractured vertebra, he’s soaking up other aspects of life.
“It makes me appreciate everything more,” Hamlin told USA TODAY Sports in Kansas. “For sure, it’s just the little things you don’t see when you’re so single-minded in the race car. You don’t see the bigger picture.
“Now I truly believe that me and (crew chief) Darian (Grubb) will be better coming out of this than if it never happened.”
With Hamlin losing points at a rapid clip – he’s now 26th in the standings – the only way he’ll be able to make NASCAR’s Chase for the Sprint Cup in 2013 is with multiple wins and climbing inside the top 20 in the standings.
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 5
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 1
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)
- Mark Miles talks about the road ahead for IndyCar (8)