Apr 23, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Denny Hamlin’s extended stay on NASCAR’s “disabled list” may come to a close before the race at Richmond International Raceway. Without racing to occupy him in the moment with his fractured vertebra, he’s soaking up other aspects of life.
“It makes me appreciate everything more,” Hamlin told USA TODAY Sports in Kansas. “For sure, it’s just the little things you don’t see when you’re so single-minded in the race car. You don’t see the bigger picture.
“Now I truly believe that me and (crew chief) Darian (Grubb) will be better coming out of this than if it never happened.”
With Hamlin losing points at a rapid clip – he’s now 26th in the standings – the only way he’ll be able to make NASCAR’s Chase for the Sprint Cup in 2013 is with multiple wins and climbing inside the top 20 in the standings.
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)