Apr 23, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Denny Hamlin’s extended stay on NASCAR’s “disabled list” may come to a close before the race at Richmond International Raceway. Without racing to occupy him in the moment with his fractured vertebra, he’s soaking up other aspects of life.
“It makes me appreciate everything more,” Hamlin told USA TODAY Sports in Kansas. “For sure, it’s just the little things you don’t see when you’re so single-minded in the race car. You don’t see the bigger picture.
“Now I truly believe that me and (crew chief) Darian (Grubb) will be better coming out of this than if it never happened.”
With Hamlin losing points at a rapid clip – he’s now 26th in the standings – the only way he’ll be able to make NASCAR’s Chase for the Sprint Cup in 2013 is with multiple wins and climbing inside the top 20 in the standings.
- Here are your TV times for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- James Hinchcliffe describes how inspired he was by Justin Wilson 1
- Dixon: “I don’t think anybody had a stellar season” 5
- Watkins Glen, Baltimore stand out for Stefan Wilson’s favorite race memories of brother Justin 1
- Report: Derrick Walker reflects on IndyCar tenure and future 1
- Scott Dixon awarded $1 million for fourth championship at IndyCar banquet 1
- Hulkenberg extends contract with Force India for two more years 1