Apr 23, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Roughly one month after he faces the Indianapolis 500, IZOD IndyCar Series rookie of the year Simon Pagenaud will take on another historic racing event: The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb.
Pagenaud, who drives the No. 77 Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports Honda in IndyCar, will be one of the manufacturer’s drivers at the June 30th climb in Colorado Springs, Colorado. His vehicle entry and racing class will be revealed at a later date, but the Frenchman will be part of a major effort for Honda that will see them run 10 products in nine different classes — products that range from Honda and Acura vehicles to Honda motorcycles and ATVs. It’s the most ever run by a single participant in the climb.
“Pikes Peak presents us with a unique opportunity to showcase Honda’s diverse product lineup and to energize Honda fans around world, as we work to further strengthen Honda’s presence in racing at all levels,” American Honda senior VP of automotive operations Mike Accavitti said in a statement.
“Our associates will be working hard between now and Race Day to prepare this diverse field of race vehicles and showcase the Honda racing spirit.”
Honda’s entries will run under two banners at Pikes Peak: Honda Performance Development and Team-Honda Research.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 5
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)