Apr 23, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Michel Jourdain Jr. will make his second straight Indianapolis 500 start with Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. He’ll run the No. 17 Office Depot Mexico/Grupo Indi/Grupo Multi Honda for what would be his third start in the race (1996 was his first).
Jourdain’s first Indianapolis start in 16 years, a year ago, ended in 19th and team co-owner Bobby Rahal said it could have been better but for a bad pit stop.
“I think that last year for his first race back after a number of years out of an Indy car, he did a very good job,” said Rahal. “We made a bad pit call last year and let him down frankly which put him a lap down.
“He quickly got with the program at Indy and was running competitively in the race and I think that one year later most of the rust is off and he will be much more prepared because he knows what to expect. From a car standpoint, we should be even more competitive than we were last year so I am really pleased to have Michel back. He is a great young guy and it’s a pleasure to have him, Office Depot Mexico, Grupo Indi and Grupo Multi back. It should be a good event for everybody.”
Jourdain noted RLL’s pace with his then-teammate Takuma Sato a year ago, and with experience both in this car and working with the same engineer in Bruno Couprie, his month should improve.
“It has been a year since I have been in the car but I will take the same strategy as last year and build up speed little by little,” said Jourdain. “We have good confidence because we ran pretty well last year, especially Takuma (Sato). I’m sure the car will be really good and with it being a three car team we should be able to progress much faster.”
Jourdain’s announcement brings the number of confirmed car and driver combinations to 30.
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 0
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 3
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6