Apr 23, 2013, 9:39 AM EDT
Mercedes’ drivers admit the team have a lot of work to do following a disappointing Bahrain Grand Prix.
One of their cars started from pole position for the second race in a row courtesy of Nico Rosberg. But he plummeted to ninth in an “unreal” race which caused him to reflect, “sport really is tough sometimes”.
Rosberg said the team were expecting a difficult race but it turned out worse than they predicted: “I knew already before the race, it was to be expected we would have a little bit more difficulties.”
“That it was going to be that bad – that wasn’t to be expected. The temperatures were higher on Sunday than they had been on Friday and that just exposed us even more. Our issues were the rear tires and overheating the rear tires.”
Rosberg said he knew “from corner three” on the first lap that he was going to have difficulty keeping his pursuers behind.
Team mate Lewis Hamilton started ninth after picking up a penalty for changing his gearbox. He was pleased to finish fifth after struggling for pace in the first half of the Grand Prix.
“I feel like we’re holding on by the skin of our teeth,” he said.
“The guys at the factory need to keep pushing because we’re not that far off and if we can just make that next step we can close the gap with them,” he added.
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 0
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
- Ricciardo Australian GP disqualification upheld by FIA 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- Clint Bowyer hits ‘white-of-your-eyes-fast’ speed of 217 mph in tire test at Michigan (13)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)