Apr 24, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali says his team are not disheartened by the problems which have cost them points in the opening four rounds.
Domenicali said the team will “work with renewed attention” to address the reliability problem which affected Fernando Alonso’s race in Bahrain, when a stuck DRS flap forced him to make two pit stops.
“We must also continue to develop the car and increase our understanding of the tires, which is more crucial than ever this year,” Domenicali added.
“In these first four races of the season, we have not managed, for various reasons, to bring home the points that were within our grasp.”
“That’s why the gap to the top in both classifications seems quite large, but we must not be discouraged by this, quite the contrary, because we have seen so often, both in our favor and against, how things can change in a hurry. We believe in our ability to be in the fight for the titles right to the end and this time, we have been in that fight since the start, which has not been the case for a while.”
Four races into the season Ferrari are third in the constructors’ championship, 32 points behind leaders Red Bull. Alonso is 30 points behind Sebastian Vettel in the drivers’ championship.
Domenicali said to reduce the gaps Ferrari will “have to be perfect in every area”.
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 1
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 1
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 8
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 0
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)