NASCAR, V8 Supercars stars swap cars at COTA (VIDEO)

Apr 24, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

Kurt Busch, like the rest of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, was in Texas a couple weeks ago for the NRA 500 at Texas Motor Speedway. The 2004 series champion made a return engagement to the state for an entirely different reason.

As part of a media preview day ahead of the Austin 400, to be held May 17-19 and the first race for the Australian V8 Supercars in America to be held at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas, Busch and former V8 Supercar champion James Courtney swapped cars.

The V8s are the top racing series in Australia – essentially the Australian equivalent of NASCAR in terms of popularity and manufacturer interest. Fans have traditionally supported just one marque, and until this year the only options were Holden and Ford before two new entries from Mercedes-Benz and Nissan.

The only similarities between the Chevrolet SS NASCAR and the Holden Commodore V8 Supercar on display in Austin comes from their road-going versions – the same car is sold in both markets in respective left and right hand drive versions.

“Sitting on the right side, shifting a bunch of gears with my left arm, you’re not in your comfort zone and it’s hard to understand what task of the car is next until you start checking things off your list that you learn the racetrack as well,” said Busch of the V8. “So there were quite a few things going on. Information overload, to say the least.”

Courtney’s take on the NASCAR: “The car was bigger and heavier. It has so much power. It’s really quite an experience. It was also quite cool to see blow past the V8 car on the straight. It was really good. I’m forever grateful that the team gave me this opportunity.”

1. cdawgredface - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM

These events are cool. It’s always interesting to hear what each driver thinks of the other’s race car. The V8 Supercar driver was probably unimpressed other than for the power of the Cup car but let them get on a mile and a half track like Rossi did and I bet they grin from ear to ear!

2. apexassassin - Apr 24, 2013 at 5:28 PM

V8 Supercars are so cool! I try and watch as many races as I can! I always watch the EPIC race at Bathurst of course. I’m looking forward to their COTA debut and thought the Moto GP races were great there. 210+ down the straight on 2 wheels is no joke.

• indycarseries500 - Apr 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM

The Supercars are running the short course there. not as interesting but they’ll beat and bang there way to a decent race.

3. icemanpjn - Apr 25, 2013 at 6:48 AM

I enjoy seat swaps, but it was a shame Lewis Hamilton so obviously sandbagged driving his car for the seat swap with Tony Stewart.

• indycarseries500 - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM

With the rain and the close proximity of the armco at Watkins Glen I’m sure Tony and Lewis both sandbagged in both cars. Not to mention the main reason Tony was faster was because Lewis went in a full on rain and Tony went on a drying track.

4. f1fan1 - Apr 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Can’t wait to see the Supercars running at COTA. Should be a stellar race!

5. tburtontmd - Apr 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Hi everyone! I work for V8 here in the states and we’re as excited about the event as all of you. I thought I’d drop in and share the new commercial. Hope to see some of you in Austin!

Video from NASCAR America