Apr 25, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
We mentioned last week that Jaques Lazier could be making a comeback in this year’s Indianapolis 500. It looks like his brother Buddy, 45, is in the running to, too.
Indianapolis radio station 93.1 WIBC FM posted a report that they had seen Buddy Lazier’s name on the DW12-Lotus chassis driven by Jean Alesi, and fielded by Fan Force United, in last year’s Indianapolis 500 (pictured).
The one-off entry for Alesi was brokered as he was a Lotus ambassador, with FFU running what had been the Lotus test car driven in the preseason. Lotus’ return to Indianapolis was nothing short of diabolical with both the Formula 1 veteran and HVM’s Simona de Silvestro woefully off the pace, and parked 10 laps into the 500-mile race.
Buddy Lazier, 1996 Indianapolis 500 champion, last made the 500 field in a last-ditch, small-budget Hemelgarn Racing Bump Day effort in 2008, and last attempted to qualify in 2009.
Neither Lazier has yet driven the new Dallara DW12 chassis that was introduced ahead of last year’s season. They last competed together in the 2007 Indianapolis 500.
- Here are your British Grand Prix air times on CNBC, NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Miles: After “two-sided pancake” Fontana race, IndyCar may crack down against stakeholder comments 1
- IndyCar issues penalties and fines following MAVTV 500 at Fontana 1
- NHRA shakeup: Tom Compton retires as president, Peter Clifford named successor 3
- Ed Carpenter: driver criticism of IndyCar ‘confusing for fans’ 12
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 2
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0