Apr 25, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
Conor Daly’s whirlwind offseason of driving a little bit of anything and everything now has at least one full-season confirmed. The American will race the full GP3 Series, his third season in the championship and second straight with ART Grand Prix.
Daly’s 2012 season included his first win (Barcelona), five total podiums, and a savage crash in Monaco when he was brutally blocked by Dmitry Suranovich through the tunnel, ultimately ending with Daly going airborne and into the catch fencing (below). Mercifully, he emerged unscathed. He finished sixth in the final standings.
Daly was on hand in Long Beach to make his IndyCar seat for the Indianapolis 500, where he will make his debut with A.J. Foyt Racing. There is no chance Daly will have an encore of his Monaco moment because GP3 has dropped the legendary street circuit from its 2013 calendar, and the race conflicts with the 500 anyway.
As it is, Daly will miss the opening weekend of practice for Indianapolis on May 11-12 as the GP3 season opens that weekend in Barcelona. Daly’s GP3 schedule frees up time for potential future IndyCar races with Foyt after the Monza round Sept. 7-8. IndyCar’s last two rounds are at Houston (Foyt’s home race) Oct. 5-6 and the 500-mile finale at Auto Club Speedway on Oct. 19.
Daly also made a one-off GP2 start with Hilmer Motorsport in Malaysia.
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)