Apr 25, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
“The penalties are unfair. It’s borderline shameful,” he said to open his comments in the media center.
The small oversight on engine builder TRD’s part meant the No. 20’s lighter connecting rod was approximately three grams underweight. For the infraction, crew chief Jason Ratcliff was suspended the next six races, Kenseth was docked 50 driver points and Gibbs 50 owner points plus the ability to earn owner points in the next six races.
The latter penalty is a brutal blow to Gibbs’ chances in the owner’s championship, especially given the No. 11 car driven by Denny Hamlin is already compromised with Hamlin out of the car and pressure on his injury replacements to match Hamlin’s results.
Kenseth continued his statements noting that while a mistake, for NASCAR to come down and crush his team like they did was substantially more than anticipated.
“There was no performance advantage, there was no intent. … To crush Joe Gibbs like that…it just blows me away,” he said. “Any knowledgeable, reputable, unbiased engine builder, they know there was no advantage there. It was a mistake.”
Teammate Denny Hamlin wasn’t happy, either, but that was with confirmation from doctors he’d be unable to at least start this weekend’s race in Richmond. He’ll be able to start at Talladega, then be pulled by a relief driver.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)