Apr 25, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Michael Schumacher will run a demonstration lap in a 2011-spec Mercedes W02 around the full Nurburgring Nordschleife as a way of saying thanks to the German fans.
His lap on May 19 will be the first one for a modern Mercedes Formula One car since Juan Manuel Fangio’s win there in 1954.
“I have a lot of fond memories of the Nurburgring and am really looking forward to giving fans and friends from my home town of Kerpen – which is quite close to the Nurburgring – something to remember as they see me drive by,” he said.
“But it will be a fantastic experience for me too, driving along the Nordschleife in a state-of-the-art Formula One Silver Arrow, particularly in view of the fact that the Silver Arrow’s legend began here.
“Posting a lap in a modern Silver Arrow on the most beautiful and most testing circuit in the world, what a brilliant mix – it’s every motor racing driver’s dream!”
The seven-time World Champion retired at the end of the 2012 season. Schumacher won five times on the shorter, modern Nurburgring circuit, all when it was called the “European Grand Prix (1995, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006).
The Nurburgring was in the news for other, negative reasons, earlier this year when the track had been defaced by some pranksters.
Video from NASCAR America
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 2
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0