Apr 25, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Michael Schumacher will run a demonstration lap in a 2011-spec Mercedes W02 around the full Nurburgring Nordschleife as a way of saying thanks to the German fans.
His lap on May 19 will be the first one for a modern Mercedes Formula One car since Juan Manuel Fangio’s win there in 1954.
“I have a lot of fond memories of the Nurburgring and am really looking forward to giving fans and friends from my home town of Kerpen – which is quite close to the Nurburgring – something to remember as they see me drive by,” he said.
“But it will be a fantastic experience for me too, driving along the Nordschleife in a state-of-the-art Formula One Silver Arrow, particularly in view of the fact that the Silver Arrow’s legend began here.
“Posting a lap in a modern Silver Arrow on the most beautiful and most testing circuit in the world, what a brilliant mix – it’s every motor racing driver’s dream!”
The seven-time World Champion retired at the end of the 2012 season. Schumacher won five times on the shorter, modern Nurburgring circuit, all when it was called the “European Grand Prix (1995, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006).
The Nurburgring was in the news for other, negative reasons, earlier this year when the track had been defaced by some pranksters.
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)