Apr 26, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT
Kyle Busch‘s recent assault on the NASCAR Nationwide Series was halted tonight at Richmond International Raceway, as Brad Keselowski took the lead from him with nine laps to go and held on to win the ToyotaCare 250 at “The Action Track.”
Busch was aiming for his fourth consecutive NNS victory and fifth of the season, but was unable to hold back Keselowski and Kevin Harvick, who attempted to muster a final charge against Keselowski before settling for the runner-up position. Behind the third-place Busch was Brian Vickers in fourth and Regan Smith in fifth.
Keselowski, Busch and Harvick dueled heavily for the win in the final stages of the race, with Harvick pulling ahead of Keselowski briefly after a restart on Lap 221. A few laps later, Busch managed to pass them both but couldn’t stop Keselowski from taking the point for good at Lap 241.
After the race, short-track tempers flared on pit road between Brian Scott and Nelson Piquet, Jr., which culminated in a personal confrontation that saw Piquet appear to kick Scott below the belt. Both drivers were called to the Nationwide hauler for the incident, which drew plenty of comments along the Twittersphere.
Among the more humorous tweets was one from Sprint Cup driver Clint Bowyer, who chimed in: “A guy might need to think about using a “cup” while driving in the @NASCAR_NNS series from here out.
#hieeyah“ Fellow Cup star Denny Hamlin also had a good one: “I can just picture Brian walking up and Nelson is in a full on crane stance just waiting to drop the hammer”
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 0
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)