Apr 26, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The route for the proposed grand prix in Thailand has been finalized as plans to hold a race in the Asian country begin to gather steam.
F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has toyed with the idea of taking Formula One to the streets of Bangkok, Thailand’s capital, for many years now, and he confirmed at the end of last season that he was in negotiations to hold a night race there.
Thailand’s sports authority governor Kanokphand Chulakasem confirmed in an interview with the Bangkok Post that the route had now been agreed, suggesting that the race is all set to claim a place on the 2015 calendar.
“As the starting and finishing point would be on the bank of the Chao Phraya River, we may be able to build the main stands in the river,” Chulakasem explained in the interview.
“It would also be convenient for transportation of equipment.
Chulakasem also said that there would be minimal disruption for the race to go ahead.
“Only a small group of residents would be affected by the proposed route.”
Street races often cause great logistical problems, and many believe that this would be the biggest stumbling block for the proposed race in New Jersey, scheduled for 2014.
The layout for the race has met an underwhelming response from the fans though. With few challenges and many ninety degree corners, many will be hoping for the plans to be revised before the 2015 calendar is confirmed.
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)