Apr 27, 2013, 7:45 AM EST
Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner believes that his team are in the middle of a four-way fight for both titles this season.
The British team currently leads the constructors’ championship ahead of Lotus and Ferrari, and Sebastian Vettel tops the drivers’ standings by 10 points. Despite this good start to the season, Horner is sure that Red Bull will face a stiff challenge as they look to retain both titles.
“Ferrari is strong, Lotus has a good car, and the Mercedes certainly over a single lap is very strong,” Horner told Autosport.
“But having won two of the four races plus a second place, it has been a strong start to the campaign for us.”
The beginning of the season has been very close indeed, with three drivers winning in the opening four races, and Horner only expects it to get even closer as Formula One returns to Europe in two weeks’ time.
“It’s close, it’s tight and I’m sure it’s going to move around from circuit to circuit as we head back to Europe.”
Horner did however write off the challenge of McLaren, who has endured its worst start to a Formula One season in over a decade.
“The rest are a step behind,” he said.
In recent years, Red Bull has improved over the course of the season, and its start to the 2013 championship could put them in good stead to seal a fourth consecutive drivers and constructors double.
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)