Apr 27, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner believes that his team are in the middle of a four-way fight for both titles this season.
The British team currently leads the constructors’ championship ahead of Lotus and Ferrari, and Sebastian Vettel tops the drivers’ standings by 10 points. Despite this good start to the season, Horner is sure that Red Bull will face a stiff challenge as they look to retain both titles.
“Ferrari is strong, Lotus has a good car, and the Mercedes certainly over a single lap is very strong,” Horner told Autosport.
“But having won two of the four races plus a second place, it has been a strong start to the campaign for us.”
The beginning of the season has been very close indeed, with three drivers winning in the opening four races, and Horner only expects it to get even closer as Formula One returns to Europe in two weeks’ time.
“It’s close, it’s tight and I’m sure it’s going to move around from circuit to circuit as we head back to Europe.”
Horner did however write off the challenge of McLaren, who has endured its worst start to a Formula One season in over a decade.
“The rest are a step behind,” he said.
In recent years, Red Bull has improved over the course of the season, and its start to the 2013 championship could put them in good stead to seal a fourth consecutive drivers and constructors double.
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)