Apr 27, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
The 1986 San Marino Grand Prix has gone down as one of the most bizarre in Formula One history, with just four drivers finishing the race as teams struggled with fuel consumption issues on this day in 1986.
Imola, which last welcomed Formula One in 2006, had always been notoriously tough on the fuel tanks, requiring drivers to manage their cars carefully for 60 laps of racing.
The race turned into a battle between Nelson Piquet and Alain Prost, who drove for Williams and McLaren respectively. Piquet looked to build up a lead at the start before managing his fuel consumption during the middle of the race, and then pushing towards the end of the grand prix to take the win. However, this backfired as he eventually finished P2 with plenty of fuel to spare, and he had only done so after Keke Rosberg ran out of fuel when defending second place.
At the front, Prost managed to perfect his strategy and fuel management to win the race by seven seconds. It would prove to be a crucial win come the end of the season, with the Frenchman finishing three points (the exact difference between P1 and P2) ahead of Piquet to win his second world championship.
Only seven cars actually managed to finish the race, with just the top two on the same lap. Despite not finishing, Rosberg and Riccardo Patrese finished in the points by virtue of completing more laps than three other finishers.
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)