Apr 27, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
With Lewis Hamilton having publicly backed his Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn amidst rumors that he’ll be leaving in the near-future, one of the team’s key management figures has said that Brawn will still be in charge even with an expected, end-of-season arrival of former McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe.
“One doesn’t obviate the other. Ross is team principal and I don’t want to change that,” Toto Wolff told Formula One’s official website. “We need to get stability in the team as we have a mountain of work to do. From where this team is coming, it is important to have as many good people as possible – that is my focus in all these discussions.”
In addition, Wolff said he wasn’t surprised by Hamilton speaking out in favor of his boss (“I signed with him being here and I’m very happy working with him,” the former World Champion said last weekend in Bahrain).
“Everybody has the highest esteem for Ross and I would be completely mistaken were I to question Ross’ technical skills – someone who has won seven or eight titles,” Wolff said. “Who am I in this respect? I have been in Formula One for only three years. So I completely agree with every word Lewis said.”
Furthermore, Wolff told the F1 website that the most useful lesson he’s learned in his short tenure with Mercedes is understanding “what it needs to make Ross function – or how he functions.”
Lowe is currently on what’s been called a “gardening leave” until the end of the 2013 championship. He has served in multiple capacities for McLaren since 1993, and assumed the team’s technical director role in 2011.
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 0
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 6
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0