Apr 27, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
With Lewis Hamilton having publicly backed his Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn amidst rumors that he’ll be leaving in the near-future, one of the team’s key management figures has said that Brawn will still be in charge even with an expected, end-of-season arrival of former McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe.
“One doesn’t obviate the other. Ross is team principal and I don’t want to change that,” Toto Wolff told Formula One’s official website. “We need to get stability in the team as we have a mountain of work to do. From where this team is coming, it is important to have as many good people as possible – that is my focus in all these discussions.”
In addition, Wolff said he wasn’t surprised by Hamilton speaking out in favor of his boss (“I signed with him being here and I’m very happy working with him,” the former World Champion said last weekend in Bahrain).
“Everybody has the highest esteem for Ross and I would be completely mistaken were I to question Ross’ technical skills – someone who has won seven or eight titles,” Wolff said. “Who am I in this respect? I have been in Formula One for only three years. So I completely agree with every word Lewis said.”
Furthermore, Wolff told the F1 website that the most useful lesson he’s learned in his short tenure with Mercedes is understanding “what it needs to make Ross function – or how he functions.”
Lowe is currently on what’s been called a “gardening leave” until the end of the 2013 championship. He has served in multiple capacities for McLaren since 1993, and assumed the team’s technical director role in 2011.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1