Apr 28, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Ferrari test driver Marc Gene has insisted that the team is still calm and focused despite an indifferent start to the season in 2013.
The Italian team has claimed one win so far this year, but with Fernando Alonso losing ground after retiring from the Malaysian GP and the team enduring a nightmarish weekend in Bahrain, many believe that the Scuderia could already have lost its chance to beat championship leaders Red Bull this season. However, Gene insists that there is no crisis in Maranello.
“Despite what happened the other day, the atmosphere at Maranello is calm,” Gene told EFE.
“I think this year we will fight until the end for both championships.”
Gene echoed Christian Horner’s belief that the 2013 constructors’ title would be fought for by four teams, and the Spanish driver tipped Red Bull as being the current pace setters.
“The nice thing about this season is that there are many teams fighting for the top positions. Red Bull is the benchmark, and Lotus is the other team that is very strong, but we also do not forget about Mercedes.”
Following Ferrari’s miserable weekend in Bahrain, Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko snubbed the team by highlighting Lotus as the current champion’s closest rivals. However, Gene was confident that the DRS failure Alonso suffered would be a one-off, and that Ferrari could quickly make up the gap to Red Bull.
“I think this is just psychological warfare. It was an unusual problem that has never happened before and won’t happen again.”
Gene last raced in Formula One in 2004, deputizing for the injured Ralf Schumacher at Williams for six races.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)