Apr 28, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Ferrari test driver Marc Gene has insisted that the team is still calm and focused despite an indifferent start to the season in 2013.
The Italian team has claimed one win so far this year, but with Fernando Alonso losing ground after retiring from the Malaysian GP and the team enduring a nightmarish weekend in Bahrain, many believe that the Scuderia could already have lost its chance to beat championship leaders Red Bull this season. However, Gene insists that there is no crisis in Maranello.
“Despite what happened the other day, the atmosphere at Maranello is calm,” Gene told EFE.
“I think this year we will fight until the end for both championships.”
Gene echoed Christian Horner’s belief that the 2013 constructors’ title would be fought for by four teams, and the Spanish driver tipped Red Bull as being the current pace setters.
“The nice thing about this season is that there are many teams fighting for the top positions. Red Bull is the benchmark, and Lotus is the other team that is very strong, but we also do not forget about Mercedes.”
Following Ferrari’s miserable weekend in Bahrain, Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko snubbed the team by highlighting Lotus as the current champion’s closest rivals. However, Gene was confident that the DRS failure Alonso suffered would be a one-off, and that Ferrari could quickly make up the gap to Red Bull.
“I think this is just psychological warfare. It was an unusual problem that has never happened before and won’t happen again.”
Gene last raced in Formula One in 2004, deputizing for the injured Ralf Schumacher at Williams for six races.
- Will Power fastest in final practice IndyCar practice at Sonoma 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 0
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 0
- MotorSportsTalk’s IndyCar championship pre-Sunday post round-up 0
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1