Apr 28, 2013, 10:04 PM EST
One of the more humorous anecdotes from this weekend’s Sprint Cup event at Richmond International Raceway involved Roush Fenway Racing driver Carl Edwards and NASCAR president Mike Helton.
When Matt Kenseth‘s pole from Kansas Speedway was rendered ineligible for his entry into next year’s Sprint Unlimited as part of his team’s engine penalties, Edwards — who lost the Kansas pole to Kenseth by less than two one-hundredths of a second — wondered if the Unlimited spot would go to him as a result.
“When I saw the news, I texted Mike Helton right away, and I said, ‘All right, cool, we’re in the [Unlimited] next year, right? We got the pole.’ And he sent back, ‘LOL!’,” said Edwards. “I didn’t think it was that funny, but he thought it was funny.
“I think [Roush Fenway Racing general manager] Robbie Reiser proceeded to ask him, and then [crew chief] Jimmy Fennig, and he got a good laugh out of it.”
Can’t blame a guy for trying, right? In any case, Kenseth would eventually regain his Unlimited spot with a pole run at RIR, which he converted into a seventh place result last night.
As for Edwards, he’ll still have to win a pole himself to break into the pre-season exhibition at Daytona, but he did finish one spot ahead of Kenseth in sixth place — which allowed him to climb to second in the Cup standings as the series heads for Talladega next weekend.
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)