Apr 28, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
Robert Kubica has confirmed that he recently completed some test work in Mercedes’ Formula One simulator as part of his recovery programme.
Kubica competed in the sport between 2006 and 2010 before suffering a heavy accident whilst rallying during the off-season. His right hand required a great deal of surgical reconstruction and physio, and his racing career appeared to be over. However, the Polish driver returned to rallying last year, and he even managed to win some events by a colossal margin, spurning rumors that an F1 comeback could be possible. In an interview with Autosport, Kubica has revealed that he did do some simulator work, but that it should not be read into.
“I can say yes, I was there, but I cannot say how many times or how many laps I did,” Kubica said.
His ties with Mercedes were strengthened after he tested a touring car for the German manufacturer earlier this year, and Toto Wolff has said that he would love to work with Kubica again should the opportunity arise.
Although this is an encouraging sign about Kubica’s recovery, the one-time race winner is unsure whether he will do more work for the team.
“Maybe. I don’t know. It’s not that every time someone sees me at Heathrow airport I’m going to Mercedes.”
This is a good sign that Kubica still has the desire to race competitively, but quite whether he is ready to make a return to single seaters, let alone Formula One, remains to be seen.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Thursday round-up (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar: A crucial weekend to commence at Mid-Ohio 0
- Mark Martin returning to Roush Fenway Racing in unique role 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Wednesday Round-Up Includes Denny Hamlin Interview (VIDEO) 3
- Greg Ives to become crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season 12