Apr 28, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Every IZOD IndyCar Series team has to maintain a never-ending pursuit of victory. The strong level of competition throughout the series demands it, and team owner Sam Schmidt understands how much of a boost it can be to defeat such a stout field of rivals.
“Winning is the ultimate goal here — second place is just the first loser,” Schmidt says in a Honda Racing online video that focused on his team’s efforts last weekend at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.
“The competition level is so high that when you do win, it’s just the ultimate accomplishment. Because you know you’ve beat the best drivers and the best teams in the world…It really takes a team effort to get it done. To win at this level takes extreme commitment, training, dedication, hard work, and, I’d say most of all, it takes courage.”
The first episode of Honda’s “Inside the Indy Challenge” also touches on how Schmidt’s drivers, Simon Pagenaud and Tristan Vautier, have made their way to the top level of American open-wheel racing. You can check out the full clip here.
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 2
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 2
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 1
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13
- DiZinno: Justin Wilson’s enduring legacy, positive spirit loom as large as his frame 2