Apr 29, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
“The Intimidator” would have been 62 today.
Dale Earnhardt passed away in an accident in the 2001 Daytona 500, but is still very much a massive part of the NASCAR and racing communities.
As the Sprint Cup Series heads to Talladega this weekend, we can take a look back at Earnhardt’s 76th and final victory, at Talladega in October, 2000, in the above video.
Earnhardt came out of basically nowhere in the last five laps to steal the victory. It was an era long before NASCAR’s Car of Tomorrow, HANS Devices, SAFER barriers and now the new Generation 6 car.
Earnhardt’s successor at Richard Childress Racing, Kevin Harvick, is in his final season with the team dating to his rookie campaign in 2001.
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 0
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0