Apr 29, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
“The Intimidator” would have been 62 today.
Dale Earnhardt passed away in an accident in the 2001 Daytona 500, but is still very much a massive part of the NASCAR and racing communities.
As the Sprint Cup Series heads to Talladega this weekend, we can take a look back at Earnhardt’s 76th and final victory, at Talladega in October, 2000, in the above video.
Earnhardt came out of basically nowhere in the last five laps to steal the victory. It was an era long before NASCAR’s Car of Tomorrow, HANS Devices, SAFER barriers and now the new Generation 6 car.
Earnhardt’s successor at Richard Childress Racing, Kevin Harvick, is in his final season with the team dating to his rookie campaign in 2001.
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1