Apr 29, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
“The Intimidator” would have been 62 today.
Dale Earnhardt passed away in an accident in the 2001 Daytona 500, but is still very much a massive part of the NASCAR and racing communities.
As the Sprint Cup Series heads to Talladega this weekend, we can take a look back at Earnhardt’s 76th and final victory, at Talladega in October, 2000, in the above video.
Earnhardt came out of basically nowhere in the last five laps to steal the victory. It was an era long before NASCAR’s Car of Tomorrow, HANS Devices, SAFER barriers and now the new Generation 6 car.
Earnhardt’s successor at Richard Childress Racing, Kevin Harvick, is in his final season with the team dating to his rookie campaign in 2001.
Video from NASCAR America
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 0
- With Vettel, Alonso, Mercedes and Renault all on the move, Abu Dhabi will mark the end of an era in F1 0
- 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Preview 0
- Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari for 2015 season, partnering Kimi Raikkonen 0
- Ferrari confirms Alonso will leave at end of 2014 F1 season 0
- Report: Kurt Busch meets with police over assault claims by ex-girlfriend 0