Apr 30, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
JR Hildebrand took a break from his schedule ahead of traveling to Brazil for this weekend’s round of the IZOD IndyCar Series to head to Detroit for promotion of this year’s race.
Hildebrand, an avid San Francisco Giants fan, temporarily donned a Detroit Tigers jersey to throw out the ceremonial first pitch ahead of Monday’s Tigers game versus the Minnesota Twins. He threw a strike, and the Tigers won 4-3.
Hildebrand and Justin Verlander had the chance to reconnect after Verlander showed up at Long Beach two weeks ago, merely as a fan. The Tigers were in town to play the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Additional baseball and racing crossover in Long Beach occurred when Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing driver Charlie Kimball threw out the first pitch ahead of a Dodgers game, and Angels pitcher C.J. Wilson and legendary left-hander Randy Johnson shot photos throughout the weekend.
IndyCar races in Detroit from May 31-June 2, with a doubleheader weekend for the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit presented by Quicken Loans.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 0
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 0
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 1
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 1
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0