Apr 30, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
JR Hildebrand took a break from his schedule ahead of traveling to Brazil for this weekend’s round of the IZOD IndyCar Series to head to Detroit for promotion of this year’s race.
Hildebrand, an avid San Francisco Giants fan, temporarily donned a Detroit Tigers jersey to throw out the ceremonial first pitch ahead of Monday’s Tigers game versus the Minnesota Twins. He threw a strike, and the Tigers won 4-3.
Hildebrand and Justin Verlander had the chance to reconnect after Verlander showed up at Long Beach two weeks ago, merely as a fan. The Tigers were in town to play the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Additional baseball and racing crossover in Long Beach occurred when Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing driver Charlie Kimball threw out the first pitch ahead of a Dodgers game, and Angels pitcher C.J. Wilson and legendary left-hander Randy Johnson shot photos throughout the weekend.
IndyCar races in Detroit from May 31-June 2, with a doubleheader weekend for the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit presented by Quicken Loans.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 6
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1
- Sprint to end title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series after 2016 (VIDEO) 17
- NBC SportsWorld: The vision of blind NHRA crew chief Jay Blake 1
- Rutledge Wood joins NBC Sports Group’s NASCAR and motors coverage 6
- NASCAR expands Sprint Unlimited field to include Chase drivers 3
- Health issues to sideline Brian Vickers for early part of 2015 Sprint Cup season 5