May 1, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
She shoots, she scores.
Before making her way to Talladega Superspeedway, Sprint Cup rookie Danica Patrick was in the house at Chicago’s United Center for Game 1 of the Blackhawks’ quarterfinal series versus the Minnesota Wild — a game that the ‘Hawks took in overtime, 2-1.
But perhaps the home team wouldn’t have needed extra hockey to vanquish the Wild if Patrick had suited up on the ice. Because as it turns out, the Stewart-Haas Racing driver appears to have a decent wrist shot — and perhaps a touch of beginner’s luck — as she put the biscuit in the basket on her first try during the ‘Hawks “Shoot The Puck” promotion in the second intermission.
Meanwhile on the track, Patrick will be taking on some extra work this weekend at Talladega. She’ll be running the NASCAR Nationwide Series race on Saturday in addition to the Aaron’s 499 main event on Sunday. For the NNS race (her second of 2013), Patrick will drive the No. 34 Turner Scott Motorsports entry.
Considering her growing reputation as a threat on restrictor-plate tracks, this could prove to be a fruitful decision. Patrick finished 13th in last year’s NNS event at ‘Dega.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 0
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 1
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0