May 1, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Kentucky Speedway has been off the IZOD IndyCar Series schedule for a couple of years now, but it appears that the track’s general manager, Mark Simendinger, is open to seeing the series return to his 1.5-mile oval outside Cincinnati.
According to Kevin Kelly of The Cincinnati Enquirer, Simendinger touched on the subject in a “town hall” session with fans during the track’s “Fan Day” this past weekend.
“I would see them coming back at some point in time,” said Simendinger. “I’m not sure when that point in time would be, because that’s a series that’s kind of working on its mix of ovals versus road courses and they’ve got a management change there.
“They’re dealing with kind of the economic model of what their races are going to be and how much money they’re going to charge tracks and all that kind of stuff. So I think that stuff has to get worked out, but I could see the IndyCar Series coming back here.”
Following a 12-year run, IndyCar departed from Kentucky Speedway after the 2011 race, which saw Ed Carpenter claim his first career victory over Dario Franchitti by .0098 of a second — the sixth-closest finish in series history. The track currently hosts all three of NASCAR’s national series (Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Camping World Truck) as well as the ARCA stock car series.
Considering that IndyCar only carries six ovals on the docket, it could use another speedway or two for more of a balance with the road and street circuits. However, one would assume that a title sponsor would be critical, if not essential, in bringing the series back to Kentucky; the 2010 and 2011 events there did not have one. In addition, attendance issues that plagued the race’s final years would have to be addressed as well.
Video from NASCAR America
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 12
- BREAKING NEWS: Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 19
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0
- Could Tony Stewart return to race this weekend at Atlanta? 15
- Report: McLaren trying for Vettel or Alonso 8
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 3