Marco Andretti’s improvement evident through three races, and he admits it

May 1, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT

Marco Andretti AP

Marco Andretti heads into Brazil this weekend, the last IZOD IndyCar Series race before the Indianapolis 500, just 12 points behind the championship leader and brimming full of confidence.

“This is what used to be the weakest part of the schedule for me, and I find myself just a few points out of the points lead,” he said Wednesday in a conference call. “I’m super thrilled about my progress in the off-season. Working on these weak points I think definitely has helped, but it’s definitely good to see results translate through.”

Andretti’s one of only three drivers with three top-10 finishes through the first three races. Qualifying has also improved, with seventh on the grid in the first two races and a better effort going at Long Beach before a blocking penalty relegated him to 25th on the grid.

“I’ve worked on my street courses in the off-season in a big way,” he explained. “Really I need to give my teammates credit, especially Ryan. He adapted to the street courses a lot better than I did. I was really over-driving the car.

“In the off-season I really studied how I was over-driving the car. It ended up working against me, causing more problems for myself, leaving me on the outside looking in.

“This year, qualifying, there’s a couple hundredths of a second out of the top six, but it’s a lot better than looking in on the top 12, which is where we were last year. I think we’ve improved. But to get wins we just need to keep driving the way we are.”

Andretti’s ability has shown through more this year given the self-reflection and analysis he’s done.

“Well, yeah, I always knew I was a decent driver, I just needed to put it all together basically. I’m yet to do that,” he admitted. “Until I start clicking off poles and wins on street courses, then I’ll sleep a lot better than I am at night.

“However, I am sleeping better than I was last year. I think just that alone, you know, those notches on the belt help. You know what I mean? You can’t explain it. It all just starts coming together.”

Latest Posts
  1. NASCAR: Rudd, Jarrett, Bobby Labonte look back on Brickyard 400 triumphs

Jul 22, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT

Ricky Rudd Getty Images

Time has not lessened the significance of winning at Indy for these three NASCAR standouts.

2. NASCAR: This time at Indy, it’s just stock cars for Kurt Busch

Jul 22, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT

(Photo: Scott Halleran/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Outlaw returns to Indianapolis for the first time since his Indy 500-Coke 600 double back in May.

3. IndyCar: Want Juan Pablo Montoya’s penthouse? It’ll cost you – a lot

Jul 22, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT

montoya3 Getty Images

The Team Penske pilot is putting up his six-bedroom Miami penthouse for a cool $14 million. Better start saving up…

4. NASCAR: Roush camp looking for speed in Michigan test

Jul 22, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

AAA Texas 500 Getty Images

Seeking to catch up with their Ford stablemates at Team Penske, Roush Fenway Racing’s trio of Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle, and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. have been searching for speed in a two-day test session at Michigan International Speedway.

5. Indy’s new scoring pylon is quite colorful (PHOTOS)

Jul 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Credit: Indianapolis Motor Speedway Credit: Indianapolis Motor Speedway

The new, 92-foot pylon is made up of four LED panels capable of video animations that relay race info to fans.

6. MRTI: Cape’s Toronto sweep; Burkett’s latest videos; other odds and ends

Jul 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

MazdaRoadToIndy

Recapping the future stars of IndyCar in action at Toronto this weekend.

7. Report: Mexican Grand Prix set for 2015 return?

Jul 22, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT

Grand Premio Tecate Getty Images

A report from Mexico says that Bernie Ecclestone has signed a five-year pact to bring F1 to Mexico City’s Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez starting next season.

8. IndyCar: Hinchcliffe continues to endure home race house of horrors

Jul 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

HinchTOR3 Getty Images

A miserable home weekend in Toronto strikes James Hinchcliffe yet again.

9. Claire Williams gives vote of confidence for Felipe Massa

Jul 22, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China - Practice Getty Images

Williams’ deputy team principal on Massa: “He is mature enough – and has enough experience in the sport – to realize that sometimes, things don’t go your way.”

10. Realistically, could Toronto IndyCar shift date to CTMP?

Jul 22, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

CTMPWide Getty Images

Given politics, dates and dreams, could an IndyCar race at CTMP be possible?

11. Formula E: Jerome d’Ambrosio confirmed with Dragon Racing

Jul 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

JDAFE Getty Images

Ex-F1 shoe Jerome d’Ambrosio gets signed up for new FE series.

12. Kyle Larson, Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan featured in Cottonelle ads (VIDEO)

Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

LarsonCottonelle Getty Images

Kyle Larson’s got a new house, a new kid on the way and now a new Cottonelle ad he might not be able to live down.

13. Report: Toto Wolff speaks out against F1′s double points finale

Jul 22, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Practice Getty Images

Mercedes’ Toto Wolff calls double points “unfair.”

14. IndyCar: Toronto weekend analysis, musings and observations

Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT

TorontoAnalysis Getty Images

MST’s Tony DiZinno recaps the weekend in Toronto, that featured a host of surprises.

15. IndyCar: Gaps grow, but few major changes in points over last month

Jul 22, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT

TorontoLeadPts Getty Images

The stretch of six races in four weekends is over, as is the stretch of doubleheader weekends for the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season. Here’s the points breakdown.

16. Chase Elliott keeps winning, but he’s not finished capturing checkered flags this season by any stretch

Jul 22, 2014, 1:38 AM EDT

Chase Elliott after Saturday's win at Chicagoland Speedway. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh) AP

With the third win of his rookie Nationwide Series career, Chase Elliott continued to make it look easy in this past Saturday night’s EnjoyIllinois.com 300 at Chicagoland Speedway.

17. NASCAR: Bubba Wallace prepares for Eldora’s “Mudsummer Classic” (VIDEO)

Jul 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT

(Photo: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images) Getty Images

For Wallace and his Truck Series rivals, racing on dirt presents a different set of challenges – and thus requires a different way to train.

18. NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary”

Jul 21, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT

Brian France AP

In a satellite radio interview, France shared his thoughts on the consortium of NASCAR’s most powerful teams.

19. IMSA: IndyCar rookie Hawksworth to make sports car debut in Brickyard GP

Jul 21, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT

Jack Hawksworth AP

Jack Hawksworth will co-drive the No. 08 Prototype Challenge car for RSR Racing in Friday’s IMSA event on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course.

20. Eldora and Indy putting a lot on Tony Stewart’s plate

Jul 21, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT

Will the 16th time be the charm for Tony Stewart in Sunday's Daytona 500? Getty Images

Between his Eldora Speedway hosting the Truck Series and then competing at Indianapolis this weekend in Sprint Cup, Stewart’s in the middle of a busy week.