May 1, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
You may have noticed this morning that the calendar has flipped to May, and for racing fans, that pretty much means nirvana.
Of course, the “Greatest Spectacle in Racing,” the 97th Indianapolis 500, occurs on May 26. But in the buildup, the IZOD IndyCar Series is far from silent. Heck, it races this weekend, May 5 at 11 a.m. ET on NBC Sports Network, in Brazil. And a week of practice starting on May 11 builds up to qualifying for the 500 on May 18-19.
Formula One makes its return to Europe, for what seems to be fewer and fewer races in the continent each year as Bernie Ecclestone and FOM expand to far off areas. The Spanish Grand Prix occurs May 12, where Pastor Maldonado scored a shock win a year ago. Then on May 26, our F1 on NBC Sports crew will be live in Monaco for the Monaco Grand Prix, on NBC.
NASCAR? Try Talladega this weekend, the “Lady in Black” after that in Darlington, and two weeks in Charlotte with the Sprint All-Star Race and Coca-Cola 600 on Memorial Day night.
Add in some sports car racing (FIA World Endurance Championship at Spa this weekend and the American Le Mans Series at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on May 11), the debut of Australian V8 Supercars with Pirelli World Challenge at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas May 17-19, and a handful of other series racing worldwide and you have a veritable smorgasbord of racing to digest this month.
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0